There’s nothing like expanding your meal plan with a new recipe! The Palms at Sunset Lakes Apartments in Zachary, Louisiana is proud to introduce you to new meal ideas that will keep your family and friends coming back for more.
Speaking of second helpings, your family will definitely fill their plate up again with this Classic Macaroni and Cheese recipe. Made with starchy elbow macaroni pasta, creamy milk, and ooey-gooey shredded cheese of your choice, this dish is affordable, nostalgic, and delicious. Many of the ingredients below might be ones you already have on-hand, too! So, buckle up for the ultimate lunch or dinner with some mac and cheese, and you will not regret it one bit.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni pasta
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cut in cubes
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese, cheddar or Colby jack
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Thoroughly cook the macaroni pasta in a large pot of salted, boiling water.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in cream cheese until well combined.
- Then, stir in the flour, salt, and pepper until the mixture is smooth – about 5 minutes. This creates a delectable base for your cheese sauce.
- Slowly pour milk into the sauce base, stirring as you go. Keep stirring until everything is smooth and slightly boiling. This will take anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded cheese to the mixture and stir until the cheese is well-combined with the other ingredients.
- After you’ve drained the macaroni pasta and returned it to its pot, pour the cheese sauce mixture over the pasta and stir gently. Serve hot with extra cheese on top if you’d like.